Blog Archive

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Today was an interesting day

So Today a group of us went to the Hutong area, which is the old part of Beijing where the government doesn't allow people to build up tall buildings. I took lots of pictures I wish I could have done more exploring but to be honest after walking about 6 miles in my sperrys I was ready to head back. We looked around and bought some stuff at the shops. It is pretty funny how many people our group can make laugh. We are some pretty funny Americans!! :) We sing on the subway and ask to drive the bike with seats behind it just for fun and the biker guys get a good laugh at us hiking our leg over the tall rail to drive the bike! :) Oh and then did I mention that everybody stares at us here like we are famous or something! So of course being true Texans we wave and see who will wave back! :) We have kind of made it into a game we call it sweet or sour, and whoever gets the most sweets WINS! Shockingly enough it is really hard to get people to wave back! Some people will look at you and realize that you are waving at them, they half smile and then get this look on their face like something is wrong. LOL People just don't wave here, they aren't that friendly :).

It has been nice to see the change in people that we have been around. When we first got here the people that worked at the hotel and in the supermarket downstairs would not smile and they seemed to hate their lives, but after 30 days of us coming in and smiling and doing our best to talk to them, they have warmed up to our group. The lady who is like a guard would sit at her chair in the hotel lobby and her job was to monitor the people who would come through the supermarket into the hotel and make sure they weren't strangers to SMIC. Anyways now she smiles at me before I even can make eye contact with her. I love it! and the people who work at the supermarket are the same way, there was this older woman who is the cashier, she was a though cookie but we finally got her.

While I have been typing this blog the power went out in my hotel room, so finally this guy came to fix it and he has gone somewhere in the ceiling... I hear noise but IDK!!! :/

So back to today. We ate at KFC for lunch it was good to have some American food! But before eating I went to go wash my hands and use the restroom...aka a squaty-potty... As I walk into the stall the cleaning woman walks in with me!! So I step out and let her mop and what not, then as I wait another lady comes in and wacks me with the door!! And I motion that she should wait outside the door because the waiting area for the toilet inside is 2'x3' and she ignores me...So then the cleaning lady walks out and I walk in and as I am finished and opening the stall door this girl busts in before I could even step out! SOOO WEIRDDD!!! :0


I am going a little backwards but that is me, :) I wanted to touch on Friday before I go. Friday was the BEST DAY!!!
We had our class play and the kids did soooo good!!! And at the end of the play me, my roomie Amy, Amber, Katelyn and Andrew all did the cupid shuffle and we went into the crowd and grabbed two people, then 10 seconds after that all of our classes were on stage doing the dance! It was the best way to go out! The parents loved it and the kids loved it! They will always remember having a good ending! :) I was sooooooo happy!!!! :)

K well I am going to eat dinner, the guy fixed the power and now I can get some packing done.
love
--Emma

1 comment:

  1. Memories.... of the supermarket and the folks in China. Everyone will be missed!

    ReplyDelete